After the horrific dog mauling death of 21-month old Monica Laminack by her family’s seven pit bulls, relatives told investigators that the toddler often played with the dogs and would “use them as pillows” while watching TV. Google Search results show that Laminack’s relatives are not unique. The term, “use them as pillows,” yet another disturbing pit bull myth rife with dangerous propaganda, is spread across the Internet by numerous Nutters (See related myth: Nanny dog). Authorities anticipate charges against the adults who were home “napping” while the seven pit bulls tore little Monica apart.
He said relatives insisted the toddler would play with the dogs and even “use them as pillows while watching TV.” – Nutter family
keep the dog ditch the husband he sounds paranoid i have pit bulls and when my grandchildren come over they use them as pillows to watch tv – Karen B
I think its awesome how most of these points to ban the breed are based on social stigma and not personal experience. I love my loyal loving cuddling friendly pit bulls. They let kids pull their ears, ride their backs, use them as pillows. – Anna Jones
Who does this cowhead think he is? Pit bulls r the most sweetest, kindest, & the most gentlest breed of dog there is. Wut other dog breed would just lay there & let children climb all over them & let a person use them as pillows without attacking. – Teresa Cornwall
Same. I used to have 2 pits. They were the sweetest dogs ever. They let u use them as pillows! – ElviraTepes
Blame the deed not the breed! There is no such thing ad a bad dog only bad owner. I own 5 pitbulls and 1 American bulldog and they all let my children jump on them pull tails pull ears (yes I discurrge my children from doing so) they even let my children use them as pillows. – Tipsy
ANY DOG CAN ATTACK … these dogs are the most LOYAL nad protective that I have ever owned … my 8 stay inside at night and are outside at least 6hrs a day,they sit in the floor when we watch a movie or the kids will use them as pillows while watching T.V – luv my pit bull
My aunt has owned three pits, and when she went on vacation, we would watch them. I used to use them as pillows when I was younger, and they had no problem with it. – FlyersEnforcer
The APBT’s in our family were always like having a nanny around we could ride them and use them as pillows to take a nap with and when outside playing they were always right with us on guard protecting us – sw_df27
After publishing this post, a user sent in the below information to show that pillows aren’t always innocent fluffy objects used to lay your head upon. Pillows, however, do not kill people spontaneously, without specific direction from those who use them.
- Daily World, The (Aberdeen, WA) – March 27, 2013 — Man says he ‘committed a father’s worst sin,’ pleads not guilty to shooting — Michael League called 911 early Sunday to report he’d “committed a father’s worst sin,” authorities said.League, 69, told police he took his .22-caliber Ruger pistol and shot his adult son and daughter in the head as they slept in his Puyallup home, court records show.He allegedly used a pillow to muffle the sound of the gunshots so as not to wake his wife and two young grandsons, who also were asleep in the house.
- Clear Creek Courant (Idaho Springs, CO) – December 5, 2012 — Investigator: Elmgreen confessed to killing father, Judge finds probable cause at preliminary hearing — During a preliminary hearing in Jefferson County Court on Nov. 30, a homicide investigator testified that defendant Kenneth Elmgreen admitted to killing his elderly father and then attempting suicide.Evergreen resident Elmgreen, 53, was arrested in early August on charges of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree arson and two counts of crimes of violence.Last Friday, Jeffco sheriff’s Investigator Kathleen Battan testified that Elmgreen said he used a pillow.
- Bismarck Tribune, The (ND) – October 3, 2012 — ND murder suspect scheduled to change plea — DICKINSON (AP) – Trial has been canceled and a change-of-plea hearing scheduled for a North Dakota man accused of killing the mother of a child he believed was his daughter.Dirk Huber of Belfield had pleaded not guilty to murdering Nicole Radebaugh in her apartment bedroom in August 2011. He was scheduled for trial beginning Oct. 15. Court documents show that he will appear in court to change his plea instead.Authorities allege that Huber used a pillow to suffocate Radebaugh.
- San Francisco Chronicle (CA) – July 20, 2012 — Woman charged with murder – Bible possibly a weapon — A woman smothered a romantic rival with a pillow and beat her – possibly with a Bible – while chanting religious passages as part of what she called an exorcism, a prosecutor said Thursday. Karla Kuhl, 35, of El Sobrante has been charged with murdering 58-year-old Patricia Medeiros, said Contra Costa County prosecutor Harold Jewett.Sheriff’s deputies responding to an early morning medical call on June 5 found Medeiros dead in her home.
- Herald-Dispatch, The (Huntington, WV) – February 8, 2012 — Man accused of trying to kill daughter, Father allegedly used pillow in an attempt to suffocate girl, 11 months old — HUNTINGTON — A local man found himself behind bars Tuesday, charged with trying to kill his infant daughter.Authorities charged Larry James Thomas, 40, with felony attempted first-degree murder, along with misdemeanor domestic battery and carrying a concealed weapon without a license. Criminal complaints describe Thomas as a convicted felon wanted out of Boyd County, Ky.The incident with Thomas’ 11-month-old daughter happened just after 11 p.m. Monday.
- Dickinson Press (ND) – November 8, 2011 — Officer: Pillow used to suffocate Radebaugh; Huber pleads not guilty to Belfield homicide — Nov. 08–Dirk J. Huber is believed to have used a pillow to kill his former girlfriend after allegedly arguing over the paternity of her daughter, officials said during his pretrial conference in Dickinson on Monday. The 41-year-old pleaded not guilty Monday to murdering Nicole Lynn Radebaugh, 39, by suffocating her in her Belfield apartment in August.
- Associated Press Archive – September 14, 2010 — UK reporter sentenced for fake mercy killing claim
A veteran British TV reporter has been sentenced after he admitted making up claims he killed a former lover who was dying of AIDS. A judge gave BBC journalist Ray Gosling a 90-day suspended prison sentence for fabricating his confession and wasting 1,800 hours of police time.The 70-year-old Gosling drew media and police attention in February when he said on a BBC TV documentary that he used a pillow to smother his dying lover in his hospital bed.
- Grand Rapids Press, The (MI) – January 13, 2009 — Life sentence ‘what I deserve’ — GRAND RAPIDS — Against the advice of his lawyer, 41-year-old Andrew Neal pleaded guilty Monday and accepted a lifetime in prison for murdering a woman he called his close friend. “It’s what I deserve, your honor. There is no excuse,” Neal told Kent County Circuit Judge Paul Sullivan after admitting he used a pillow to suffocate Mashonda Griffin, 35, in her Wyoming home, at 2940 Union Ave. SE, on Oct. 27.